In 1324, William de Bosco, Rector of Harrow. built the first church in this parish in the old part of Hatch End. The Chantry Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary was probably to be found on a site on the trading estate to the north of Headstone Lane Station, opposite Hatch End High School. This Chapel was demolished under the Dissolution of Colleges Act 1536 in the reign of Henry VIII; sadly, nothing remains of this chapel where a daily requiem for the dead was celebrated for just over three hundred years, although the name “chantry” remains in the names of various roads in the vicinity. It was not until after the first passenger train, on the newly constructed London and Birmingham Railway, ran through Hatch End on March 31st 1837, that thoughts of a permanent church were mooted.
The first church in Hatch End was known as the “Tin Tabernacle” (All Saints’ Woodridings) and was a very inadequate iron structure at the back of Devonshire Road. It was replaced by the present St Anselm’s Church which was designed by F.E. Jones and consecrated in 1895. It was to have had a tower, but sadly this was never built. It is built in flint with brick bands and free Gothic tracery. A broad interior with octagonal columns is dominated by the Rood Screen aloft with carved spandrels and figures. The church was built at a time when Pinner Park was an extensive deer park and a pail of water could be purchased for 1/2p from the Harrow pump.