ParkLife News

Get newsletter

Adding markers to the map ...

Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury, Harrow

789
Our Lady and St Thomas of Canterbury, Harrow

Contact Info

Phone Number
+44 20 8422 2513

Location

Address
22 Roxborough Park, Harrow HA1 3BE, UK
Postal Code
HA1 3BE
Area

After the Restoration of the English Catholic Bishops in 1850 by Letters Apostolic ‘Universalis Ecclesiae’, Nicholas Wiseman was appointed to the Metropolitan See of Westminster. His Successor, His Eminence Cardinal Henry Manning, an old boy of Harrow School, who had a special affection for this area and its association with St. Thomas Becket, authorised the building of a small Chapel on the 6th May 1873 on a site in Roxborough Road and made a donation towards the cost.

After the Restoration of the English Catholic Bishops in 1850 by Letters Apostolic ‘Universalis Ecclesiae’, Nicholas Wiseman was appointed to the Metropolitan See of Westminster. His Successor, His Eminence Cardinal Henry Manning, an old boy of Harrow School, who had a special affection for this area and its association with St. Thomas Becket, authorised the building of a small Chapel on the 6th May 1873 on a site in Roxborough Road and made a donation towards the cost. The needs of the local Catholic Community were served here until the building of the present Church. The foundation stone was blessed and laid by His eminence Cardinal Herbert Vaughan on 4th May 1894, the total cost of the building being in the order of £3,000.

Map

Swap Start/End