Adding markers to the map ...
Monken Hadley Common

Monken Hadley Common

1547 0 1 0 0

Local Authority

Local Council

Your contact Info

Phone Number
+44 020 8440 8944

Location

Address
Bakers Hill, Hadley
Postal Code
EN5 5QE
Local area
City
Main city or town, IE London

Parks OpenSpace

About Park Group
Monken Hadley Common is now the only remaining unenclosed fragment of the former Chase, and is situated north of High Barnet, and immediately to the east of ancient country village of Monken Hadley itself. In 1777 it was in the county of Middlesex; in 1889 it became part of Hertfordshire, and since 1965 it has been within the administrative area of the London Borough of Barnet. The Common is a roughly wedged shaped tract of land of which about 74 ha are accessible to the publicThe public has the right to use the Common “for air and exercise” under Section 193 of the Law of Property Act 1925 (as amended); this is sometimes referred to as “Section 15 land” after Section 15 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act, 2000.; it’s about 2.5 kilometres long, tapering from a width of about 0.5 kilometre at its broadest point, close to the white gates beside St Mary's Church, Monken Hadley at the western end the other sets of white gates at Games Road at the eastern end - about 300m from the Cockfosters Road entrance to Trent Park. It is bounded to the north and south by the residential areas of Hadley Wood and New Barnet respectively.
Park Facilities

Fun Fair

"Commons” are generally privately owned land over which some people other than the owner exercise limited rights "in common" with the owner(s) of the land. These people are known as "commoners", and they may, for example, have rights to graze animals, to collect firewood, or to cut turfpeat  for fuel. Monken Hadley Common is unusual in that under section V of the 1777 Act , the land is not privately owned, but is held in trust for the “Commoners” - the people who still have grazing rights attached to their properties.
Monken Hadley Common is now the only remaining unenclosed fragment of the former Chase, and is situated north of High Barnet, and immediately to the east of ancient country village of Monken Hadley itself. In 1777 it was in the county of Middlesex; in 1889 it became part of Hertfordshire, and since 1965 it has been within the administrative area of the London Borough of Barnet. The Common is a roughly wedged shaped tract of land of which about 74 ha are accessible to the publicThe public has the right to use the Common “for air and exercise” under Section 193 of the Law of Property Act 1925 (as amended); this is sometimes referred to as “Section 15 land” after Section 15 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act, 2000.; it’s about 2.5 kilometres long, tapering from a width of about 0.5 kilometre at its broadest point, close to the white gates beside St Mary's Church, Monken Hadley at the western end the other sets of white gates at Games Road at the eastern end - about 300m from the Cockfosters Road entrance to Trent Park. It is bounded to the north and south by the residential areas of Hadley Wood and New Barnet respectively.

Map

Swap Start/End