ParkLife News

Get newsletter

Adding markers to the map ...
Chapman's Green

Chapman's Green

360 0 1 0 0

Local Authority

Local Council

Contact Info

Phone Number
+44 0208 489 1000

Location

Address
Perth Rd
Postal Code
N4 3HB
City

Parks OpenSpace

About Park Group
References to Chapmans Green date back as far as 1619 when it was originally a common. Little has changed since it received park status in the early 1900’s. The formal gardens still retain their shape, but today see more sustainable planting than the seasonal bedding displays they once boasted.

The Pavilion was home to the Noel Park Bowling Club until early 2019 when the club disbanded due to lack of membership. The Friends of Chapmans Green repainted the Pavilion in 2019, using an original colour pallet in celebration of the 400 year history of the park.
Park Facilities
Chapman’s Green is a small park sandwiched between Perth Road and Lordship Lane, a short walk from Wood Green Tube Station. Local people formed the Friends of Chapman’s Green in 2016 to give this under-used and overlooked green space some love and affection. We organise community events at the park throughout the year and try to keep it tidy with regular clean-up days
Building on these beginnings, we’re now working with Haringey Council and our partners Grow N22 to explore how Chapman’s Green can best serve its community in the years ahead. With Noel Park Bowling Club having made the difficult decision to wind itself up at the end of 2018, the park’s pavilion and bowling green needs to find a new use. And so now, more than ever, we as residents need to get together and plan what sort of future we want for our park. The Friends are keen that the spirit of the Bowling Club and its history of social activity should be sustained by reimagining and reinvigorating how the whole site – park, pavilion and bowling green – is used in future. Our ambition is to transform the pavilion into a mixed use community hub, suitable for a range of small-scale activities and events; to improve the quality and usability of the park by introducing play equipment; and to review how the former bowling green can be remodelled so that it can be used for activities and small events whilst supporting the health of the local environment. Chapman’s Green is first recorded in 1619 when it appeared on a map of the Parish of Tottenham, made for the Earl of Dorset. It appears upside down to us, as like most maps of this period, it reads south to north. A this time it would have been a field in agricultural use, and remained as such until the late 19th Century when the Noel Park and Scotch Estates were built.Fortunately, this little wedge of open space survived amongst the new residential streets and, complete with mock-Tudor pavilion, became a neatly manicured public park typical of the kind that sprang up as London’s suburbs expanded. Between 1904 and 1936, visitors to the park would have seen trams passing along Lordship Lane between Wood Green and Tottenham – these were replaced by trolley buses and later diesel buses.

Map

Swap Start/End