Waltham Forest

Waltham Forest

682 0 1

Local Authority

Local Council

Contact Info

Phone Number
+44 20 8496 3000

Location

Address
Waltham Forest Town Hall, Forest Rd
Postal Code
E17 4JF
City
Main city or town, IE London

"The site chosen for the new building was previously occupied by Chestnuts Farm, also known as Clay Farm.[ The building was commissioned by the Municipal Borough of Walthamstow and designed by Philip Dalton Hepworth in the Nordic Classical style. The foundation stone, in which contemporary artifacts were placed, was laid in 1938. Construction of the building, which is built of Portland Stone, was interrupted by the Second World War and not completed until 1942.

Five statues carved by John Francis Kavanagh were installed on the rear of the council chamber and 16 relief sculptures also by him were erected on the portico piers. The assembly hall was used as a municipal meal centre during the Second World War. The building was transferred to the Waltham Forest London Borough Council in 1965 and has been the seat of government for that authority since then."

Map

Swap Start/End